Accessibil-IT and PDF
Produced by Accessibil-IT Inc.
Whether you’ve got one, ten, or a thousand documents, Accessibil-IT can accommodate any size of engagement. In a time crunch? Need to be accessible ASAP? We’re here to help.
The PDF Process
No matter the size of the project, our process is the same. You send through your PDFs; we’ll make them accessible while retaining your current branding. You’ll receive them back on agreed upon timelines – with total confidence in your compliance.
What’s Involved in Making a PDF Accessible?
When optimizing your content, Accessibil-IT’s steps include:
- Inserting an invisible layer of instructions to guide adaptive technologies through the document
- Including descriptive text of graphics, images and charts
- Retaining correct reading order, branding, and upholding any security requirements
Testing for Compliance and Successful Interpretation by Adaptive Technology
Ensuring the accessibility (tagging) complies with global Standards, PDF/UA and/or WCAG 2.1, is a vital first step. It provides the best opportunity for the PDF to be interpreted correctly by adaptive technology. Accessibil-IT uses a three-pronged approach to achieving compliance:
- Using highly trained resources who are experts in tagging and have thorough knowledge of the Standards
- Manually testing the tagging by our most experienced resources
- Using industry leading testing tools including PAC3 and Adobe Checker to confirm compliance. Testing Reports are provided to our customers.
Testing for compliance is critical however it does not guarantee adaptive technology will read the content correctly since the software can play a role. The only way to be sure the PDF will read correctly by adaptive technology is to test it with adaptive technology.
- Accessibil-IT tests using popular screen readers and can provide transcripts to our customers which demonstrate the screen reader has interpreted the accessible PDF correctly.