- CURRENT NEWS
- CeBIT 2012: PDF Association Has the Answers to Your Questions about PDF Standards and Solutions
- FEATURE ARTICLE
- Converting Scanned Documents to PDF/A
- PDF ASSOCIATION MEMBERS PRESENT THEMSELVES
- Janich & Klass
- NEW MEMBERS
In its remarkable 30-year history, Janich & Klass has a long tradition in the IT industry, as does our affiliate, microform GmbH, which has its roots in the microfilm sector. We are one of the leading innovators in new technologies and formats and have seen some stick around for a long time while others soon vanish. One such format, TIFF, is without question, one for the scrapheap. For so long, through so many digitisation projects, we had to struggle with TIFF’s inadequacies! Be it the file sizes – especially for colour documents, the pixelated look it gave documents, or the lack of full-text searching, we are very pleased to have an alternative in the form of PDF/A.
PDF/A is not just a de jure standard – it has established itself as the de facto market standard. PDF/A is a must for long-term archiving now; life without it is simply unimaginable. We are convinced that PDF/A’s further development will wipe TIFF off the face of the market. There are simply too many advantages.
Dietmar Janich, Janich & Klass
CeBIT 2012: PDF Association Has the Answers to Your Questions about PDF Standards and Solutions
Seeking advice on PDF standards like PDF/A, PDF/VT, PDF/UA and PDF/X? The PDF Association, an International PDF standards group, will be offering its expertise in current and future PDF standards at CeBIT 2012. We will be on-hand to answer questions and provide standards-compliant solutions for all PDF formats.
The following PDF Association members will be attending CeBIT 2012:
- ABBYY Europe GmbH: Hall 3, Stand F16
- callas software GmbH: Hall 3, Stand A18
- DocPath Corp.: Hall 3, Stand B19/1
- icon Systemhaus GmbH: Hall 3, Stand A18
- intarsys GmbH: Hall 7, Stand C17
- IntraFind Software AG: Hall 3, Stand D34/1
- Janich & Klass GmbH: Hall 3, Stand J30
- LuraTech Europe GmbH: Hall 3, Stand A18
- microform GmbH: Hall 3, Stand J30
- OPTIMAL SYSTEMS GmbH: Hall 3, Stand J18
- SRZ GmbH & Co.KG: Hall 3, Stand G30
- Verlag für Standesamtswesen, Hall 7, Stand A62
- Zöller & Partner GmbH: Hall 3, Stand A18
Converting Scanned Documents to PDF/A
In all sectors of the DMS/ECM environment PDF/A is increasingly used in digital mailrooms and in digitising paper files. More and more invitations to tender specifically state that documents must be available as PDF/A files after digitisation. Neither capture solution providers nor scanner manufacturers with their own integrated software can halt this trend. Some choose third-party suppliers and integrate their solutions for converting documents to PDF/A. Others have implemented the “Save as PDF/A” function directly. The latter option is surely the more elegant method, and it also offers advantages to the user: no extra license fees, and just a single user interface.
The second standard, PDF/A-2, was approved in 2011. It is based on PDF 1.7 and offers several additional functions. These include the ability to use the powerful JPEG2000 compression system, which is particularly interesting when scanning documents. It provides higher rates of compression and higher image quality compared with the JPEG format.
The advantages of PDF/A for scanned documents, in summary:
- Improved compression ratios – for black/white and colour scanning,
- Full text capability using OCR, and
- PDF/A as an ISO standard for secure long-term archiving.
PDF ASSOCIATION MEMBERS PRESENT THEMSELVES
Janich & Klass
Janich & Klass Computertechnik GmbH was formed in 1981 as a spin-off from the University of Wuppertal and has been managed as a limited company since 1985. J&K has been active in the document management industry since 1987. Here it has three particular spheres of activity: fundamental research into improving image quality, scanning technology for scanner manufacturers, and flexible scanning software which interfaces with numerous DMS systems. DpuScan is J&K’s universal program for scanning (simultaneously in colour, greyscale and/or black/white), indexing, image optimisation, barcode recognition, OCR, conversion to PDF/A etc. In 2009, Janich & Klass took over microform GmbH. Up to that point, microform (which had previously acquired Agfa’s microfilm department) used J&K technology to develop scanners for the Agfa microfilm camera. Janich & Klass has a wide range of expertise in the machine control and image processing sectors, while microform has extensive know-how in the paper transport and optics sectors. In combining their expertise, the two produced the high-performance XINO scanner, which is supplied with the PDF/A-oriented XINOcapture software.
Again, many PDF Association members will exhibit at the CeBIT show. Please use the opportunity to meet them in Hannover, Germany.
The PDF Association invites its members to attend the Technical Conference 2012, to be held March 27-28, 2012 in Basel, Switzerland.
- ICOM Software Research, Germany, www.icomsoftware.de
- Marc Véron, Switzerland, www.veron.ch
- Jens Kirkegaard, Danmark, www.rosendahls-schultzgrafisk.dk
- MediaTailor GmbH, Germany, www.mediatailor.net
- xyMedia GmbH, Switzerland, www.xymedia.ch
- Blue Car Technologies Ltd., UK, www.bluecartechnologies.co.uk
- Jochen Maier, Germany, www.summ-it.de
- iText BVBA, Belgium, www.itextpdf.com
- Amyuni Technologies, France, www.amyuni.com
- Rene Mitta, Danmark, www.sa.dk
About PDF Association
The association is geared towards developers of PDF solutions; companies that work with PDF in document management systems (DMS) and electronic content management (ECM), interested individuals, and users who want to implement PDF technology in their organizations. Although the Association’s members were predominantly from German speaking countries, the PDF Association now boasts members from over 20 countries world-wide.